CLICK FOR Restaurant Menu
The Parkview Hotel was first opened in 1898 as a perfect example of an old English tavern, after many renovations now stands a beautifully redeveloped up market hotel and restaurant opposite the brilliant green Erskineville Oval.
The Parkview was not always this sedate. The pub’ first host regularly fronted Redfern Courthouse charged with adulterating his rum and whiskey. While this would repel most civilised pub drinkers, the Parkview had many more reasons for customers to look elsewhere for a beer or two. During the 1920s, gangs –known as ‘ushes’–fought bloody battles on the streets of Sydney’ inner-suburbs, regularly meeting at the hundreds of corner pubs scattered throughout the city. Attempts were made to have a pub opened on the corner of Mitchell Road and Harley Street at Alexandria as early as 1890, with surrounding residents successfully preventing a license being granted for many years.
It wasn’ until 1898 that a man with influence was able to persuade the authorities that the “requirements of the neighbourhood” required a pub. He was James Roche, an alderman elected to Redfern Council in 1895. Roche was granted a license for the Parkview Hotel on July 25,1898. Not surprisingly the surrounding residents, who had fought a long battle to prevent a pub opening in their neighbourhood, were not too pleased with its opening, and an appeal was lodged against Roche’ license in October 1898
The Hotel is now proudly owned & operated by Trevor & Simone Walker.
The PVH caters for all guests needs from the 1st Floor Restaurant, function areas, sports bar to the Harley wine room, a casual dining area with an open fire place. You can also soak up the sun rays in the colourful beer garden & street seating.
CLICK FOR Wine List
1st FLOOR RESTAURANT
CLICK FOR Details
CLICK FOR Function Pack
CLICK FOR Facebook Page
cnr Mitchell Rd & Harley St,
02 9557 1924
THE PARKVIEW HOTEL
Please see our Facebook Page for Daily Details.